This is a family favorite for those chilly fall and winter evenings!
First of all, I am SO impressed with my new Instant Pot and have used it daily since I received it. Yesterday I tried one of our favorite winter recipes in it and have revised the recipe below. I prepped the soup (10 minutes) and did a quick blend with the immersion blender once the pressure cooled. I let the soup stay in the pot on "warm" while I ran to the gym to swim. At 7:30pm, I came home to warm bowl of soup, a glass of wine, a roaring fire and another episode of Poldark! Who could ask for anything more on a chilly winters eve.
Butternut Squash Soup
• Butternut Squash (1 whole squash peeled and chopped approx. 1.5-2lbs)
• 4 red apples peeled, cored and sliced (we like Fuji apples)
• 3 TBLSP unsalted butter
• 1 yellow onion chopped
• 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
• 1/2 tsp ground ginger
• 1/2 tsp ground coriander
• 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
• 1tsp sea salt
• 1tsp black pepper
• 2 cups of organic chicken stock ( add 2 cups of water if you need to stretch the recipe or prefer a consistency that is less thick)
• sour cream and crusty bread (I added salted pepitas as seen in the photo)
1. Melt butter and add onions. Saute until the onions are translucent (approximately 5 minutes). *** (to eliminate steps 2-4)
2. Add squash and cook until soft approximately 7-10 minutes.
3. Add spices, apples, chicken stock and water.
4. Bring to a boil then simmer for about 30 minutes or until ingredients are soft.
*** If you have an Instant Pot stop here and add the spices, apples, and chicken stock. Secure the lid and program to high pressure for 10 minutes.
5. Scoop the ingredients into a blender, food processor or use an inversion blender and blend until smooth.
6. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and/or some yummy crusty bread and enjoy!